My Spoonflower Shop

My Spoonflower Shop
Newly opened!

4/22/2014

The next chapter.



I should start this post by saying how deeply touched I was by all your lovely messages of support and kind comments following the death of our beloved dog.
I had not prepared myself for the feeling of loss and desolation his departure has caused. Those of you who have formed a bond with a pet will know how different life is without them.

Enough, or we shall all be in tears!

There is much to celebrate, Easter brought family visits made extra special this year by the addition of our darling grand-daughter Edie Rose.

Spring has sprung here in Cheshire and the garden is bursting with life and colour.



My journey into the world of hand made books continues, this time Secret Belgian Binding was the subject of our latest workshop with Alan Fitch from The Farthing Press. Alan also runs courses from his bindery in Powys with accommodation provided, a lovely way to combine a holiday with learning.



Last but not least, my book samples for “White is the Moon” finally arrived. I was so anxious about them but I am happy to say that they have surpassed my expectations. This is a title that I originally illustrated when our boys were little. It was published by Blackie and Son Ltd in the UK and by Macmillan in the USA. Gradually it went out of print and we decided to publish it ourselves as an Acornmoon Books edition. This may prove to be foolhardy given the lack of bookshops and the increased demand for e-books but we are being cautiously optimistic. I have been busy making an on-line shop, which you can see in my sidebar.

In addition to my latest book, I have found a few boxes of older out of print titles. All of these are in an unread, untouched condition. Some have become collectable and can be seen on other book sites for a vast array of prices, I am pleased to say that I have kept to their original price and can offer some real bargains until my stocks run out.

If anyone is interested in these children’s picture books or babies board books I am happy to sign them and add a dedication. You can see what is on offer by following this link. All of the books will be posted from the UK by Royal Airmail, and I am happy to post to any far-flung corner of the globe!

14 comments:

Terra said...

I love your art work and I am sure your cache of books will sell quickly and find good homes.

DeniseinVA said...

How lovely! I have enjoyed this post very much, thank you for sharing it :)

Jules Woolford said...

I don't think those lovely books will be around for very long!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have only just read about the dog - I am so sorry. Having been through the experience several times I know how hard it is. All I can say is that eventually your beloved dogs become beloved memories which you can smile about.

Moon and Hare said...

I envy you taking a course from Alan Fitch. For years I've wanted to visit Norfolk and take a bookbinding class from him, but now it looks like he's moved!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. They really do become members of the family.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Fantastic news Valerie...your books look lovely and I was hoping to order two. What would be the shipping on that to Vancouver Island? Glad that there's some happy flowers to get you through your blues!

Julie Clay Illustration said...

I have only just read about Ted too, I am so sorry, my old pooch is 14 now, he had a bad day last week, I thought he may not last, but he's rallied round, it's very hard to be without them. I love your flowers in the garden, must now check out the books now :)

Tammie Lee said...

hello,

I am sorry to hear about Ted's passing through the sacred door. my heart leans towards yours.

Your flowers are so lovely, i just found my first wildflowers of the year today.

I must stop by and have a peak at your books. Congratulations on your new one!

Patricia Shea said...

Congratulations on Acornmoon Books - brava Valerie. I am thoroughly enjoying my copy of "White is the Moon", thank you!! Love, Patricia

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

So nice to another glimpse of Spring on your blog, Val. The shop's looking wonderful. Good luck, Lesley. x

Jeri Landers said...

Oh Valerie, I did not know about little Ted.. I am so sad and sorry.. I understand this pain having lost so many dear little friends. As you know, I love all your work, and am happy to see Acornmoon Books on it's way to the great success you so deserve!

Tammie Lee said...

hello,
Your books arrived today!
They are beautiful and charming and got here so fast and in good condition! I look forward to reading them and taking each one to heart.

Lovely days and nights to you!

Elizabeth said...

So exciting about the books -
Even more exciting about the granddaughter!
Yes, the nasturtiums were blissful looking.
We have had the mostly beastly slow spring.
Gloomy and wet here today - but apparently it will be 80' on Monday.
Off to look at your book site!
(We already have White is the Moon).

sandie said...

Beautiful work as always - I just had a look at your online shop and it's looking fab! I too am sorry to hear about Ted - I grew up with dogs, and I know how much a part of the family they become. Best wishes to you xx