1/22/2014

Good intentions.



Hi, it has been a while! I have had good intentions to update my blog but time has been against me. I hope there is somebody still out there?

Christmas was a very busy time for us, we had lots of visitors and with all the extra domestic duties I also had a very heavy workload, anyway, enough of my excuses, I hope this year has been good to you so far.

Earlier this month I had a watercolour painting exhibited in Mayfair, London by “Art of the Imagination”. The painting was a new work, inspired by “The Night before Christmas”. As you can see I got a little carried away with the border.





I have been experimenting printing onto canvas; so far I have tried out some images for stretched canvases and handmade books. I plan to do some more when time allows. The little origami book was made with a printed canvas cover and the insides where decorative marbled papers.



The book below was a special find in my local Oxfam shop, it was published by The Golden Cockerel Press in 1937 with original wood engravings by Gwenda Morgan, isn’t it a treasure? I thought you might like it too.



When I have not been at my desk I have been walking Ted, who is in the doghouse yet again. This time for chasing and cornering a squirrel who promptly bit him on the nose. He was so humiliated, in front to his girlfriend too! As you can see from my photograph, the weather has been mild, very wet and windy but so far no extreme cold spells. Some of the leaves remain on the trees; the birds are singing and nesting as if it were spring. I wonder if they are right to be so optimistic, I do hope so.

17 comments:

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Your watercolor looks so old fashioned...from an old story book...it would make lovely Greeting cards.
And that book you found...I'm so envious as you know old books are a bit of an addiction to me as well!
You can show Ted my post today and let him know that he's not the only dog being humiliated these days (although Griffins was due to medical reasons and not squirrel chasing!)
This morning I heard a fox sparrow singing his little heart out with the mild weather as well...hope you're well.

charisse 'dadis' melliza said...

Your works are always amazing and inspiring. I often visit your art to motivate me to keep on creating.

Terra said...

Your painting is fabulous and I do not think you got carried away on the borders; well, they look lovely is what I am trying to say. I like the art on the cover of the book you bought too.

acornmoon said...

Kerry, I hope Griffin gets well soon. What is a fox sparrow I wonder?

Charisse and Terra, thank you for your kind comments.

MILLY said...

So mild here too. The birds are singing and I watched two blackbirds hopping around. It is lovely to see some snowdrops out but I think there will be winter weather still to come. There was snow on Coniston Old Man over the weekend.

Jules Woolford said...

Good to have you back blogging again! That I love all your work goes without saying, but I do have a very soft spot for that little hedgehog. Poor old Ted - bless him!

Julie Clay Illustration said...

Beautiful work once again, the little hedgehog all curled up is gorgeous. Do you print onto the canvas from a printer of your own?? Ted will maybe learn a lesson and stop before the squirrel has chance to bite??? But then again...maybe not :) I love the woodcuts in the book, what a find indeed :)

Rowan said...

I love the Christmas painting, it's really attractive. What a great find in the charity shop - it's just the kind of thing that appeals to me too.

Frances said...

Val, it's always grand to see a post from you, and l really enjoyed this one. Your exhibited painting is a beauty, and it's great to learn that you were in that Mayfair exhibit celebrating imagination.

Poor Ted. Wonder if he even remembers exactly what happened? Has his regard for squirrels changed after his unfortunate and sudden encounter?

I'm also having trouble finding time for new year blogging. Bound to find the time soon.

xo

Clare Wassermann said...

So lovely top hear your voice again. The border on the Santa painting is wonderful. Very intricate but the overall balance is superb and I love the owls looking on. Xxxxx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Nice to see you are still in blogland. As usual fabulous art work.

Rosie said...

Lovely to see you back blogging again after what sounds like a busy time for you. Poor Ted hope his nose isn't too sore - we have squirrels everywhere at the moment one even came up to the conservatory door and peered in at us:)

WendyLady@GoodBooks said...

Beautiful origami, Valerie! Happy New Year! :) The woodcuts in the Goat Green book remind me of Wanda Gag's illustrations from Millions of Cats.

Elizabeth Wix said...

Your art work always delights!
The borders are so very lovely and remind me of the treasures in medaevil manuscripts.
Horribly cold here in New York.

Jeri Landers said...

Well that will teach Fred a thing or two about chasing squirrels! Maybe my dogs need a nip on the nose, as well. The hedgehog is a precious masterpiece. I so admire your work, everything you create is always wonderful.

acornmoon said...

In answer to Julie's question about the canvas, yes I print it on my A4 printer, it comes A3 but I cut it in half.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

A lovely look at some of your work and of Gwenda Morgan's in the same post ... you are spoiling us :)

PS I have mega book find envy ... why do I never come across such delights in Oxfam shops!